Sunday, October 25, 2020

About THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW By Sarah McNeal

 


Because my parents allowed us to read comic books to interest us in learning to read, in fact encouraged it when we were children, my sister and I were free to read comic books all we wanted. Pop preferred us to read classic stories in comics, but, well, we were kids after all. I had a fascination for ghosts, “Casper the Friendly Ghost”, was my favorite comic. I had quite a collection of them. I did, however, have one classic comic which I favored above all others: “THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW” by Washington Irving written in 1820. This Halloween favorite takes place in Sleepy Hollow, New York—a real town in Westchester County. Some think Irving was influenced by a poem written by Sir Walter Scott in 1796 titled “The Chase” in which A Heisman soldier lost his head from a cannon ball in the American Revolution.

 


Disney's Less Scary Animated Movie of Sleepy Hollow

Disney produced an animated movie about Ichabod Crane the tall, lanky school master who met up with the famous headless horseman. This movie was scary enough to satisfy children without terrifying them.


Tim Burton's Movie of Sleepy Hollow With Johnny Depp

Most recently, the movie version of Sleepy Hollow came out starring Johnny Depp as a somewhat eccentric detective. It’s playing on Netflix for any of you who might be interested in some Halloween movies without the horror of some movies these days.


Sleepy Hollow the TV Series

I don’t know if this TV series still exists, but I enjoyed Sleepy Hollow with Tom Mison until I gave up cable TV. I quite liked the series. In this series Ichabod, an American soldier in the Revolution is brought back to life into the present with the mission of finding and eliminating the Hessian soldier who still haunts Sleepy Hollow.

 

This is the actual town of Sleepy Hollow in Westchester County, New York.

What is your favorite Halloween movie? Why is it your favorite? Did you read comic books as a kid? Which ones did you like best? Did you trade comic books with your friends?     

No comments: