Saturday, March 13, 2010

PROMOTION AND MANNERS




Every author has to promote his or her work one way or another. We have to introduce readers to our work and then we pray that they will like what we write. Most writers, especially those with eBooks, find it advantageous to join reader groups on line and chat about their books, post excerpts, covers and blurbs to familiarize readers with their work. There are contests and give-aways to encourage readers to buy our books and interviews to give to familiarize readers with us and our body of work. Most authors are grateful to have a place to introduce their work, show respect to their readers and obey the rules of the group.


What I have found, however, are authors who somehow believe that they don’t need to speak to readers or other authors for that matter. They post their excerpts, blurbs and covers and then they disappear without so much as a howdy-do. So, if a reader has a question about something the author wrote, they will never get an answer. What I really don’t understand is when a reader or another author pays the absentee author a compliment that the author doesn’t respond with even a single thank you. We’re all busy. There is always that next book to write but there is no excuse for rudeness. If an author has time to post an excerpt, surely there is time for a polite response to a compliment.


Some authors don’t even find it necessary to follow the rules of the reader loops on which they post. Why is that? Is it that they feel their books are so superior to others that they are above the rules? This blatant abuse of rules is disrespectful. I would not imagine that readers are unaware of an author’s cavalier attitude toward the rules or their haughty, egomaniacal behavior in ignoring readers and authors who comment on their work.


Reader loops are for the benefit of readers and authors to come together and converse about books. Authors get to show off their books and readers get to find out about their favorite authors and discover new ones. However, when authors display such disregard to the readers that they don’t even want to talk to them, well, where’s the chat in that?



4 comments:

Liana Laverentz said...

I've been on the flip side of that, in a chat room all alone :( but I've also had some wonderful experiences where we've talked and shared and encouraged one another. One thing I like to do is play a game...ask someone to pick a word, any word, then come up with an excerpt involving that word. It gets us away from posting the same excerpts over and over again. I'm afraid I'm guilty of drive-by posting, but I make every effort to check back and see if anyone commented. And I religiously read the rules for each site, and then double check the stream of messages to make sure a special event is not happening that day that I could inadvertently barge into. Of course, I've learned all of this through "oops" experiences, but the good news is I learned :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, I really enjoyed your Blog about author manners and I agree 100%! I'm a big believer in authors-helping-authors, and also believe that authors cant make it without their readers. So, its about time some of these snooty authors start thinking about "manners", and how they got where they are now.

I post Reviews of other authors on my website under my "Kari's Korner Reviews"....and hope that will express my belief a bit better. (grin)

HUGS,
Kari Thomas, Paranormal Romance Author, www.authorkari.com

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Nice blog post. I do try to catch all questions, but I've been good about posting and running to work. Like Liana, I've made some oops, but learned by the mistakes. I have a file now with all the groups rules. I'd go crazy without the info to refer back to. lol

Re: Readers--authors need readers and I am so happy to hear from them.

I've met a lot of authors who are very supportive and I like to return the favor whenever I can.:)

Take Care.

I know I've said so before--I just love your website. Hits the time travel theme perfectly. Well done!

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah, Nice blog, awesome post!

I do post my excerpts and blurbs on Yahoo Groups on days permitted. I will go back and read through everything to make sure no one has asked me a question, but I never see a response. LOL I've been on the flip side of that too by giving people comments, but I never see a thank you either. I'm thinking maybe because we all have joined so many groups?

People probably do respond, or it may take them longer to respond. Sometimes, it may be that we post, but forget which group we posted on. I know one time I made a few comments to someone on one of these groups, and for the life of me, I can't remember which one it was. Needless to say, the author probably replied and I never got to respond.

Like Liana says, I have to re-read all the rules to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes. There are certain groups that I know for sure allow promos on Mondays, Tuesdays Thursdays, & Fridays. One time I did goof on Excessica and posted on a Tuesday. I believe their promo time is Monday. Once I discovered that, I went back and deleted my post.

Kari, I'm a believer of authors assisting other authors too. That is the way it should be and it makes me happy to see that.

I also want to say, Sarah, you are a wonderful critique partner. Thank you, I'm so glad you answered my post!

Charisma